‘ May the odds be forever in your favour’… Yes, it does sound like the title of a death-defying, fantasy sequel, but the Vaping Tricks Games are as non-fictional as the e-cig devices and the people used to compete in them! Cloud Chasing is the magical sounding name given to the art of competing in vape trick performance - Yes, vaping is now a sport. Although we can’ t see it winning a place at the Olympics anytime soon, we do have high hopes for a global acceptance of cloud chasing, and the truly awesome tricks and tricksters that are rising because of it.
It was inevitable really, with vaping’ s inflating popularity there was bound to be a competitive offshoot! The competitions are judged on who can produce the most impressive plumes in front of a panel of judges, sponsors and spectators. There are already some well known tricks out there and plenty of how-to videos to sink your teeth into if you’ re eager to learn - but the smoke that these competitors blow is completely mind blowing. Using e-cigarettes, e-liquids and a good set of lungs, these guys use significant mouth and hand movements to blow their vapour into iconic geometric shapes, animals, symbols and can even make their clouds travel!
If you don’ t have the determination to spend months teaching yourself how to be a successful cloud chaser, you could always become a cloud gazer - fanatics who watch, judge and journey to view the contests. Though vaping is still relatively new on the market, cloud chasing is fast becoming a recognised sportwith fans, teams, cash prizes and sponsors. The sport has also been dubbed‘ extreme vaping’ and is described as being‘ the recreational activity‘ of blowing large clouds of vapour using an electronic cigarette. Cloud chasing is an art where people build very complex coils of different types of“ wire” the main one used is kanthal. Other types are nickel, titanium or stainless steel.
Some listed cloud chasing competitions all over the world include the following:
- International cloud Championships, California
- World Series of Vape, Las Vegas
- The World Series of Cloud Chasing (W.S.O.C.C), UK
- Vape Blast, Texas
- New Mexico Vape Fiesta
- King of Cloud contest, UK
- VC Cloud Championship, New Jersey
… and many others that are held locally in vape stores!
In these competitions, contestants blow clouds of epic proportions, trying to create the largest and densest cloud in order to win. You don’ t even have to use nicotine - the glycerol can be burnt in a modified device and used solely to form the badass clouds. Although the vaping doesn’ t have to involve the addictive nicotine substance, there are other concerns surrounding the health risks of‘ playing’ with devices in order to get them to create fuller smoke clouds, and the strain on your lungs.
It has been said that there is no particular requirement for a winner to possess, other than skill. No specific device, e-juice or other variable may necessarily lead to success, but breathing technique is key! To practise your technique, follow these simple inhale/exhale steps:
- Empty your lungs completely
- Exhale and lean forward slightly in order to empty your lungs of excess air
- Blow the last bit of air into your RDA so that you can see the vapour escaping through the holes - this will give you a kick start on your cloud!
- Inhale for as long as possibly can - as you do this, straighten your back to open up your lungs more, ready to accept more vapour.
- Exhale at a constant and regular pace whilst pushing your jaw out slightly. This allows you to open up your throat so that the vapour can be released easily.
- When you feel like you are almost out of air, be sure to tighten your lips! This will shoot a bullet of air out that will cause your cloud to expand into a large plume! He shoots he scores!
Be cautious, be safe, and if you are unsure, leave it to the masters! If you are new to vaping then we high recommend you to look into starter kits such as vaporesso revenger and others.