How many tattoos do you have? Perhaps you’re inked from skull to sole, maybe you’ve got a few masterpieces hidden in unsightly places - or you may not have even plucked up the courage to go under the needle yet. I’m sure even those with virgin skin have considered getting tattooed at some point in their lives, potentially spurred on by accompanying friends who have fearlessly ventured into the unknown studio with the leather chair… whether their decision was regrettable or riveting is another story.
Inking is a curious thing, it’s a decision that you are making that will affect the rest of your life; realistically, there’s not much going back after the needles started its showpiece. This is why we find tats so fascinating - these people have consciously (most of the time) made an important decision to walk around until they kick the bucket, with inked symbols, pictures, glyphs, typography and lyrics etched into their skin.
SO WHY DO SO MANY END UP GETTING IT WRONG!? I’m convinced it’s so people like me can get some sinister enjoyment out of it…I mean ok, art is subjective am I right? So whether you see someones tat as awe inspiring perfection, or tragically stupid, is completely down to personal opinion.
So here it is, the good the bad and the damn right ugly.
The best and worst vaping tattoos…
1.This one is acceptable; in a cartoon-esque, cute and quirky way, this colourful tat of a vaping device captures the fun and free spirit of vaping, with bold lines and blue smoke so enchanting it would make The Genie jealous.
2. This baby gets points for accuracy; it’s as if Van Gogh was here to create still lives on legs. However, in it’s symmetrical format it doesn’t feed much to the imagination. This kid must really adore their e-cigarette device - I guess it would be the equivalent of me having my George Foreman Grill (it is life.) inked on my thigh… it’s a loveable and necessary appliance, therefore it deserves a place on me forever.
3. I can see this one emblazoned on a black flag amidst an ocean of ravenous pirates - though I can’t imagine Blackbeard being impressed with a glyph that resembles a memory stick. Not that he would know what one of those was either…
4. When the only love you have in your life is your mum and she still doesn’t make the cut.
5. Ok, I don’t think you need me to explain what this ghastly image of an e-cigarette could be mistaken for. At first glance I wasn’t too sure either folks, perhaps it’s the crude imagination I lovingly inherited.
6. I’ve seen quite a few of these Alice in Wonderland inspired tattoos - and I must say, they’re very effective. This is one of the most detailed I could find; it depicts the caterpillar perched on his large mushroom, seemingly puffing away on a shisha pipe. Magical.
7. Another vibrant cartoon style tat depicting a skull and two crossed e-cigarettes - perhaps there should be some deep correlation between this modern image and piracy? The links are becoming too vast to be pure coincidence.
8. You can see the movement in the curved lines on this funky tattoo - the pink and purple clouds look like something from a fairytale.
9. Hazarding a guess that this particular tat is indeed a health warning, “DEATH TO CIGARETTES”. Very graphic.
10. This guys taken community dedication almost as far as a Stoke City football fan… perhaps without the obscenity and foul language though. ‘Loyal to the coil’ could definitely have other implications too…